Thursday, December 7, 2017

Accredited Parliamentarian--- SAY WHAT?!



Background:

First semester at University Park campus. 
First class with Dr. Foster as the professor. 
Anxiety level-- at an all time high. 

I have never encountered parliamentary procedure in a formal sense until AEE 216 was introduced to me. My FFA chapter used parliamentary procedure, as well as my volunteer fire company; however, I had no idea what this whole concept of parliamentary procedure was coming from in relation to my degree in Agricultural and Extension Education or in relation to FFA. 

Dr. Foster is slightly intimidating on certain days, and intimidating professors paired with an intimidating topic is not exactly the ideal combination to enter one of the most intimidating semesters during your college career (aside from student teaching--YIKES). 

One quote kept me going throughout this semester, this quote kept me going and prevented me from giving up and not reaching my full potential.

My entire life, there have been people doubting me, and for the longest time I chose to let those individuals get to me and allowed myself to give up on my dreams. There have been times where my self confidence has diminished due to the people that want to see me fail getting inside my head and I began to make those comments and discussions true for my life. The quote, "There will be haters, there will be doubters, there will be non-believers, and then there will be you, PROVING THEM WRONG," has kept me humble and confident throughout this semester of my college career.

Enough about me... let's talk Parli!

Parliamentary procedure at the beginning of this semester, was the most boring class that I had ever heard of. I was preparing myself for the worst semester of my college career. However, from the moment that I walked into Ferguson 214 on day 1 of fall semester, my entire attitude towards parliamentary procedure changed. I realized that I know a lot more about parliamentary procedure than I could ever imagine. I also learned not only the basic facts about parliamentary procedure but how the concepts relate to real life and just how valuable the lessons and concepts are. 

What I've Learned About Parli:

1) Historical Development of Parliamentary Procedure
2) Deliberative Assemblies & Rules
3) Proper Conduct of Meetings
4) 25 Different Motions
5) 4 Classifications of Motions (and Main Motions), and their precedence (rank or order)
6) Parliamentary Procedure in Societies (FFA- National FFA Convention)
7) Nominations
8) Officer Duties and Elections
9) Committees
10) So much more!

What I've Learned About Myself:

1) Challenge yourself!
2) You are capable of doing anything that you put your mind to!
3) There will always be someone that is better than you- learn from it. 
4) You are not as unintelligent as you make yourself out to be. 
5) Application is everything. 

I am pleased to announce:

Although the class is intimidating and may be a step outside of your comfort zone, the course load is very manageable; and Dr. Foster is not as intimidating as you may think! 

I declare this blog post- Adjourned!

-Kayla R. Stauffer
Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences
Agricultural and Extension Education-- Class of 2019 
Accredited Parliamentarian










No comments:

Post a Comment