Wednesday, December 11, 2019

AEE 216 Student Service Project

What did we do?

For my service project Neve, Jenna and I teamed up to work with mostly 11th and 12th graders on a Parliamentary Procedure workshop. In our workshop we went over Agendas and the two aces in the whole with students. Agendas were particularly important and useful for these students because most of the were FFA officers and having a solid agenda is something many chapters struggle with. The two aces in the hole (Parliamentary Inquiry and Question of Privilege) were also really impactful for these students. Many had very little knowledge of Parli Pro so by teaching them about these two motions they were able to feel more comfortable getting involved in meetings. These motions that can get anyone involved in a meeting so I think its really helpful for new and old FFA office to learn for their chapter meetings.
main takeaway

Main Takeaways

Personally, my main take away from this experience is that students have very broad understandings of Parliamentary Procedure. Some students in this workshop seemed as though they knew exactly what we were talking about when we went over our objectives while others, hardly knew what Parli was. I can see this being a challenge for me in the future. As with any topic, serving the needs of the greater population of the class is a struggle. That being said, I think all of the students where able to get at least something out of this workshop regardless of their familiarity with Parliamentary Procedure.

How does this tie to the class?

I think that this project was very beneficial for me. I think the biggest way that it ties to the class is that it helped me solidify my understanding of the topics discussed. While yes, before this workshop could recite the topics, I can not say I fully understood them. By making the lesson plan, talking about it, and answering questions, I was able to review and more clearly understand the topics. After this workshop, I felt much more confident in my knowledge and felt like I could share more with students in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Nell,

    Sounds like you had a great experience! Thanks for sharing. I love that you were able to solidify concepts from class after teaching it and you became more confident in the material!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete